PSSCA is looking for 10-12 graduate students in school counseling to participate as conference volunteers. PSSCA is committed to providing student volunteers the following:
- 2018-19 PSSCA membership (If the student has already paid this fee, a refund will be issued.)
- 2019 PSSCA conference registration - includes Friday luncheon. (If the student has already paid this fee, a refund will be issued.)
- Certificate acknowledging assistance as a conference volunteer
Students serving as volunteers are required to attend a volunteer orientation meeting at 6:30pm on Thursday evening. If you cannot attend this meeting, you are not eligible to volunteer - this is where we explain your responsibilities. Volunteer work will commence Thursday evening, as we need an hour or two of help with some final room set-up tasks. Volunteers will be required to help from 7:30am-5:30pm on Friday and from 7:45-1:00 on Saturday. Each volunteer will be able to sit in on at least 5 (out of 7) conference sessions, and everyone will be asked to help with some combination of the following:
- Attend the volunteer orientation meeting on Thursday 6:30pm
- Assist with stuffing any remaining conference bags
- Assist with room set-up (e.g., projectors, screens)
- Assist with the graduate student orientation session Friday morning 7:30am
- Assist during individual sessions - introduce speakers, disseminate handouts, and collect evaluations
- Assist at the registration table
- Assist with t-shirt sales
- Monitor doors for attendees entering the Friday luncheon
- Hand out door prizes at the Saturday business meeting
- Collect nametags and lanyards after the conference
- Assist with tear down and packing up PSSCA materials
Complete the application (be sure to sign the last page - scan and attach a pdf copy) and email it by midnight, October 15, to the PSSCA Postsecondary VP, Dr. Amy Milsom: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The conference committee will make efforts to select volunteers equitably across all graduate programs from which applications are received. In order to afford this opportunity to as many students as possible, graduate students will not be selected to volunteer two years in a row.
Applicants will be notified of selection decisions via email by November 1. Details about specific work assignments will be shared with volunteers sometime late December/early January once the conference schedule is finalized.